Lite for Life© Eggnog - Weight Watcher Eggnog Recipe
for Life© Eggnog
Concerns about high calorie counts, fat, cholesterol and sugar content need not take away from celebrating the holidays. With lighter versions of favorite recipes you can still enjoy the toasting the season with our lighter version of a familiar favorite – eggnog.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes + Chilling Time
Quantity: 2 ½ Quarts (2.5L) approximate
1/3 cup (75 ml) all purpose unbleached flour
2 cups (500 ml) of white sugar
¼ (1.65 ml) teaspoon salt
2 quarts (2 L) of 2% milk (you can use 1% milk but increase the flour to ¼ cup)
6 medium sized eggs, beaten lightly
1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
¼ cup (125 ml) dark rum (substitute 1 tablespoon (15 ml) rum extract for a non-alcoholic version)
3½ cups (410 ml) fat-free half-and-half cream
1 teaspoon (5 ml) freshly ground nutmegl
1. Use a large heavy bottomed saucepan to prevent any chance of scorching the mixture as it cooks.
2. Combine flour, sugar and salt in the saucepan.
3. Whisk milk and eggs together in a bowl.
4. Whisk milk-egg mixture into the saucepan until the mixture is smooth.
5. Cook, stirring gently and constantly, on low heat setting until a thermometer registers 160°F. This will take up to 20 minutes.
6. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
7. Add extracts or extract and rum is using the latter as an ingredient.
8. Strain the eggnog into a clean jug large enough to hold the cooked mixture plus about 4 cups more of liquid.
9. Cover and chill in refrigerator until well chilled; about 2 hours or overnight.
10.When ready to serve, stir in the cream and the freshly ground nutmeg.
1. Pour the well-chilled eggnog into glasses.
2. Add a dollop of whipped cream with an extra grating of nutmeg. Pour the eggnog mixture into a punch bowl. Arrange dollops of whipped cream sweetened with vanilla around the outer surface of the eggnog.
3. Place a shaker with extra ground nutmeg near the punch bowl.
Guests can help themselves to a cup of ‘nog with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and add extra spice with an added sprinkling of nutmeg.
rights reserved Bizfare Enterprise Inc & Lite for Life©