Lite for Life© Spicy Dumpling Soup
for Life© Spicy Dumpling Soup
A light soup that is big on flavor and versatility. The heat of the spicy dumpling filling can be toned down and the meat ingredient can be substituted with cooked ground chicken or beef or, for a seafood dish, with finely chopped cooked shrimp or lobster. These dumplings work equally well as a vegetarian dumpling when the meat is substituted with prepared Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP). This Spicy Dumpling Soup will have them coming back for more.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 – 5 minutes per batch of dumplings
Quantity: 4 Servings*
8 cups (2L) chicken stock
½ cup (125ml) finely diced carrots
½ cup (125ml) finely chopped celery
½ cup (125ml) chopped cilantro (reserve a tablespoonful (15ml) as garnish)
20 packaged wonton wrappers
1” (5cm) thick slice of cooked pork tenderloin, ground to make approximately ¾ cup (65ml)
(seafood, meat or vegetarian substitute for the pork to measure)
¼ cup (65ml) finely diced roasted red pepper
1 cup (250ml) finely chopped Chinese cabbage or bok choy
½ teaspoon (2.5ml) Chinese 5 spice seasoning
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
½ - 1 teaspoon (2.5 - 5ml) Chinese hot sauce
1 egg white (Place yolk in a clean container and refrigerate for another dish)
1. Simmer all soup ingredients, minus garnish, for 20 minutes
2. Mix egg white and set aside
3. Mix all dumpling ingredients, minus wonton wrappers, together in a bowl
4. Place 1 teaspoon dumpling filling in center of wonton wrapper
5. Dip finger in egg white and run your finger along the edge of the wonton wrapper
6. Fold closest edge of wonton wrapper away from you and press firmly to the opposite side of the wrapper.
7. Press wonton edges firmly together and place completed ‘dumpling’ on a tray
8. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
9. Drop wontons carefully into boiling water and stir gently to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pot or to each other.
10.Dumplings are done when they float to the top of the boiling water and simmer for 1 more minute.
11.Remove dumplings from the boiling water and place in individual serving bowls
* 6 – 8 Servings if there are additional dishes that will be served.
* Ladle ½ - 1 cup (125 – 250ml) prepared chicken stock into each bowl.
* Top each bowl with a sprinkling of cilantro.
rights reserved Bizfare Enterprise Inc & Lite for Life©