Lite for Life© Turkey Chili
for Life© Turkey Chili
This is a chili for all the right reasons. Finding out about healthy alternatives can lead us into a healthier lifestyle.1 This recipe makes enough for 6 as an entree. So, go ahead and enjoy with family or, double the recipe to share with a crowd of friends. I think it serves up nicely with cornmeal muffins (Johnny Cake).
Time: 6 hours 45 minutes (45 minutes preparation time + cooking time of 6 hours)
4 cups (1L) diced cooked turkey breast
1 white medium sized onion, diced fine
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
4-14oz. ( 398ml) cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
6 cups (1.5L) chicken broth
1 teaspoon (5ml) red pepper chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) cayenne pepper
1 ½ teaspoons (7.5ml) dried oregano
2 teaspoons (10ml) chili powder
2 cups (500ml) grated medium Cheddar cheese
1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, chopped (optional)
4 ounces (125ml) can chopped green chilies
1 cup (250ml) prepared guacamole
1 cup (250ml) sour cream
1 cup (250ml) prepared salsa
1 /2 cup (125ml) finely chopped cilantro leaves
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot and sauté the onion 3-5 minutes.
2. Add the red pepper chili flakes, garlic, cayenne pepper, oregano, chili powder cook 2 minutes.
3. Place kidney beans, diced turkey and chicken broth in slow cooker pot.
4. Add the sauteed onions and seasonings to ingredients in slow cooker pot and stir.
5. Cook for 6 hours on high slow cooker pot heat setting.
6. Stir occasionally to prevent mixture from sticking to the bottom of the slow cooker pot.
7. In the 4th hour, add chopped cilantro leaves and ½ of the chopped chilies.
8. Adjust seasoning for chili flakes.
9. Ladle into bowls. Add condiments of choice: guacamole, sour cream, chopped green chili peppers, salsa, and grated Cheddar cheese.
This chili freezes well.
rights reserved Bizfare Enterprise Inc & Lite for Life©